Nesmith Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Present: Trustees –Peter Tousignant (Vice-Chairman), Mark Branoff (Treasurer), Karen Marcil (Assistant Treasurer), Patricia Barstow (Recording Secretary), Tara Picciano (Corresponding Secretary), Mary Lee Underhill
Director – Carl Heidenblad
Assistant Directors – Diane Mayr, Lois Freeston
FLOW – Michelle Feyler (Holiday Crafts)
Excused: Norman Boutillette (Chairman)
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm. The minutes from the January 8 meeting were amended to make a motion on the budget for 2013 read “that we approve a budget of $994,346 as presented for 2013.” The minutes were accepted as amended.
Correspondence: Carl received a letter from the Governor’s Commission on Disability dated 1/14/13 regarding the accessible entrance sequence at the library, specifically the weight of the entrance door. The Commission has received a call informing them that the rights of those with disabilities were being limited or violated.
Reports and Housekeeping:
Treasurer’s Report: The first 2013 monthly report will be available in March. Part of the $8,000 surplus reported at the end of 2012 was used by the town to pay a few of the library’s bills, so the surplus now stands at $6,350, which will be returned to the town's general fund.
· The second CIP planning meeting was postponed until all relevant quotes are received.
· The library phone and alarm system issues have been resolved as of today. Carl would like to change the library’s phone system to become part of the town's master switching system. The change would cost less than $1,000 and would save $200 per month. The change would be nearly transparent to callers and future problems would be handled by the town's IT department.
A motion was made by Mark and was seconded to accept a quote from Alternative Communications Service to supply, install, and program a Comdial refurbished FXSDS-16 card to transfer the library's phone service to the town's PBX. The motion passed unanimously.
· Carl thanked the highway and maintenance departments for doing a wonderful job of clearing snow on the library property. Opening on Sunday, the day after the storm, went very smoothly as a result.
· Carl has installed fifteen of the new leased PCs and has three to go.
· Carl would like to digitize the town’s archived newspapers.
· Diane and the GMILCS staff are working on an eBook project which would allow customers to get eBooks directly from Polaris.
FLOW Report: FLOW has donated two Nook HD 8gb eReaders with covers and screen protectors, to be used by children.
A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded to accept from FLOW, with gratitude, a donation of two Nook HD 8gb eReaders with covers and screen protectors, valued at $497.84. The motion passed unanimously.
FLOW’s Annual Banquet will be held at the library on March 8; Trustees have been invited. FLOW is also planning a Winter Carnival which will be open to the public on Saturday, March 9, from 10am-2pm, with games and food. The Winter Book Fair is scheduled to run concurrently, taking place throughout the day on March 8 and 9. The Book Fair’s preview will take place on the 7th from 4-7pm and will be open only to seniors, teachers, and FLOW members.
Personnel Committee Report: A motion was made by the Personnel Committee and was seconded to approve changes, as recommended by the director, in the Assistant Children's Librarian's job description, including a change in hours, as well as the addition of a Toddler Specialist/Library Associate position at twenty hours per week. The motion passed unanimously.
NH House Bill 436: A motion was made by Mark and was seconded that the trustees oppose HB 436, An Act Relative to the Governance of Town Libraries. The motion passed unanimously.
A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded that items submitted for the agenda be accompanied by estimated time limits for use as guidelines during meetings. The motion passed unanimously.
Donation: A motion was made
by Peter and was seconded to accept a donation of $120.46 from a local book
club. The motion passed unanimously.
Trustees’ Meeting: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 7:00 pm.
Town Elections: Tuesday, March 12, 7am to 8pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:24 pm.
Draft subject to approval