Nesmith Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Present: Trustees – Mark Branoff (Treasurer), Karen Marcil (Assistant Treasurer), Patricia Barstow (Recording Secretary), Tara Picciano (Corresponding Secretary), Anne-Marie O’Neil, Cathy Robertson-Souter
Director – Carl Heidenblad
Assistant Directors – Diane Mayr, Lois Freeston
F.L.O.W. – Cindy Jutras (Adult Programs)
Attending Virtually: Trustees – Peter Tousignant (Vice-Chairman)
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 7:14 pm.
A motion was made by Mark that we adhere to the bylaws and conduct this meeting according to the standard order of business. The motion was not seconded.
A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded that we suspend the bylaws for the purpose of this meeting, rearranging the order of discussion so that all trustees can be present for the election of officers. The motion passed by a vote of 6 to 1.
The minutes from the February 12 meeting were accepted as written.
Public Hearing: A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded to accept a donation of $17,300 from F.L.O.W for the automatic front doors for handicap access. The trustees and Nesmith Library staff are very thankful to F.L.O.W. for this gift as well as for their continued support of the library. There were no public comments. The motion passed unanimously.
Election of Board Officers for 2013-2014: The trustees attempted to arrive at a consensus ballot, which required a vote for the position of treasurer. The vote for treasurer was as follows:
Karen Marcil – 5; Mark Branoff – 1; Abstentions – 1
The following slate of officers was then passed by a vote of 6 to 1:
Chairman – Peter Tousignant
Vice-Chairman – Patricia Barstow
Treasurer – Karen Marcil
Assistant Treasurer – Mark Branoff
Recording Secretary – Tara Picciano
Corresponding Secretary – Cathy Robertson-Souter
Election of Mary Lee Underhill as Trustee Emeritus:
A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded that Mary Lee Underhill be named a Trustee Emeritus of the Nesmith Library in recognition of the years of dedicated service and inspired leadership that she provided to the board and to the library. The board also wishes to acknowledge Mary Lee’s years of volunteerism, and her role in the development of the library’s volunteer program in 1998. In 2012, volunteers were responsible for the reshelving of more than 183,000 items. The motion passed unanimously.
A motion was made by Patricia and was
seconded to accept a gift from the Windham Endowment in the amount of $847.
This unrestricted gift represents the first annual disbursement from the
Underhill-Levin-Gross Fund and the trustees gratefully thank Mary Lee Underhill
for her extraordinary generosity and civic leadership. The motion passed
Reports and Housekeeping:
Treasurer’s Report: 25% of the year has elapsed and 22% of the budget has been expended. Property maintenance expenditure stands at 13% while group health insurance stands at 33% and computer supplies at 68%. As shown in the updated bottom section of the monthly financial report, as of 12/31/12 the library remains in compliance with RSA 32:7 (Lapse of Appropriation) on the funds transferred to the library by the town’s treasurer. After twenty years, the library has new public accountants, Plodzik and Sanderson of Concord.
· Carl will be ready to have an extensive CIP discussion at the next meeting.
· The two Nooks which were donated by FLOW for the Children’s Room are loaded and ready to go.
· The library is digitizing and fully indexing the Windham Independent. The years 1969-1989 have been sent out for digitizing.
· F.L.O.W. held a very successful fundraising event at the library in March consisting of a family entertainment day and a book fair. As a result, the stock of used books was appropriately depleted and F.L.O.W. is replenishing that stock for the Strawberry Festival book sale. F.L.O.W. very much appreciates being able to presort donations in the small study room on the main floor, so that unsellable items do not have to be carried upstairs and then directly back down for disposal.
· The May/June Book Sale preview will take place at library and then will be moved to high school for the day of the Strawberry Festival. This was a very successful strategy last year.
· Volunteers can sign up online to work at the Strawberry Festival.
· F.L.O.W. presented two very successful adult programs recently, featuring performers Nanette Perotte and Paul Carroll. A floral arranging workshop with Dianne Howes will be coming up next. Presenters fees have gone up a bit from last year but, so far, F.L.O.W. remains committed to offering programs for free to the public.
Strawberry Festival: The trustees and Carl will volunteer at the grilling station from 2-4 pm. Additionally, one or two trustees will be needed to assist at the library staff table. Another library logo polo shirt order is about to be placed so new trustees can get in on that order to have shirts to wear at the festival.
Endowment, Marketing, and Technology Committees: Discussions are tabled until the May meeting. Also, a Personnel Committee should be appointed at that meeting.
Children’s Librarian: A motion was made by Mark and was seconded that the board task the Director with initiating the interview/hiring process for an Assistant Children's Librarian to work 15 hours per week, pay scale grade 10, step 1. Upon completion of the interview/ hiring process the director is to bring his recommendation to the Personnel Committee of the Board of Trustees for review and to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
Discussion: Karen Frey, the current Assistant Children's Librarian, will be responsible for toddler and homeschooler programming, as well as additional circulation desk duties. The new hire will assist Jane in the Childrens Room.
The timing for this process should work fine with the delayed appointment of the Personnel Committee. Should things proceed faster than expected, an ad hoc committee can be formed.
The motion passed unanimously.
Correspondence: The trustees received a thank you letter from the Shepherd’s Pantry for a $130 donation made by the library’s teen program. The letter and thanks will be passed along to the teen librarian.
Trustees’ Meeting: Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 7:00 pm.
NHLTA Conference: Monday, May 20, 2013, 8 am to 3:30 pm. Please have your workshop selections to Peter by Friday, April 12th, so that he can coordinate choices and forward our preferences in a timely manner to Jena Day, who will take care of registrations.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:41 pm.
Draft subject to approval