Nesmith Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Present: Trustees – Norman Boutillette (Chairman), Mark Branoff (Treasurer), Patricia Barstow (Recording Secretary), Karen Marcil (Assistant Treasurer), Tara Picciano via Skype (Corresponding Secretary), Mary Lee Underhill
Director – Carl Heidenblad
Assistant Directors – Diane Mayr, Lois Freeston
FLOW – Pam Skwiot (President)
Excused: Peter Tousignant (Vice-Chairman)
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm. The minutes from the June 12, 2012 meeting were accepted with one spelling correction.
Correspondence: There was no new correspondence.
Treasurer’s Report: 2/3 of the year has elapsed and about 2/3 of the budget has been expended. The size of the Technical Services expenditure reflects the payment of our annual GMILCS dues. A new section was added to the Monthly Financial Report to demonstrate the Library's compliance with RSA 32:7 (Lapse of Appropriations) of the Municipal Budget Law for appropriated funds transferred to the Library by the Town Treasurer, as of 12/31/2011.
· Circulation statistics indicate changing library use patterns over the last 18 months or so. While the numbers are down, staff members feel they’ve been as busy as ever, but doing different things.
· There are no building maintenance issues at the moment, which is good since Al Barlow has not yet been replaced as the head of the town’s maintenance department. The library appreciates all of the work Al did over the years on its behalf.
· Carpet cleaning has been rescheduled to Columbus Day.
· Carl requested that a CIP discussion for 2014 be placed on the agenda for the October or November Board meeting.
· There have been some broadband connection issues which FairPoint is monitoring.
· At the August 6 Selectmen’s meeting, there was discussion about whether the library was in compliance with with RSA 32:7 (Lapse of Appropriation). It is in compliance.
· Budgets are due to David Sullivan and Dana Call by October 5. This should be discussed at the October Board meeting. Carl emphasized that, due to budgetary constraints, the library now makes due with about 20% less than it did in 2009 and that this belt tightening has not been without consequences.
· Carl requested that a meeting of the personnel committee be convened to discuss a few items he is proposing for the 2013 budget.
· New non-personnel-related items for the 2013 budget include weatherstripping the front doors, a lighting upgrade, and on-demand water heaters. These items could possibly be attended to this year if the property maintenance budget allows.
FLOW Report: FLOW’s first Board meeting will take place next week. There has been some turnover in Board positions but Pam expects that all positions will be filled. The Strawberry Festival had its second best net income ever.
Endowment Fund Committee: A motion was made by Mary Lee and was seconded to accept the proposed Named Fund document as presented this evening with the addition of a seventh policy.
Discussion: Policy 7: If the Nesmith Library ceases to exist as an entity, control of the Fund’s assets will transfer in accordance with applicable state laws and regulations.
The motion passed unanimously.
Donations: A motion was made by Patricia and was seconded to accept two anonymous gifts, of $25 and $50, to be used for the direct benefit of the public. The Board gratefully acknowledges receipt of these gifts. The motion passed unanimously.
Personnel Committee Meeting: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 5:30 pm.
Trustees’ Meeting: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 7:00 pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 pm.
Draft subject to approval