Nesmith Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Present: Trustees – Peter Tousignant (Vice-Chairman), Mark Branoff (Treasurer), Patricia Barstow (Recording Secretary), Karen Marcil (Assistant Treasurer), Mary Lee Underhill
Director – Carl Heidenblad
Assistant Directors – Diane Mayr, Lois Freeston
FLOW – Holly Breton (Publicity & Public Relations)
Excused: Norman Boutillette (Chairman), Tara Picciano (Corresponding Secretary)
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 7:01 pm. The minutes from the October 9, 2012 meeting were accepted as written.
Correspondence: Tara has sent a letter to Town Administrator David Sullivan expressing the Trustees’ support for the library’s 2013 budget.
Treasurer’s Report: 5/6 of the year has elapsed and just a bit over 5/6 of the budget has been expended. Operating funds are getting tight, but we’re on track to finish the year within budget. The full Treasurer's Report is available at the library.
· The iPads that were donated by Makromed of Salem have been available for borrowing as of last week. All three are on loan right now. Since iPads are normally personal devices, some reconfiguring was required to make them available for public use, and the librarians will be watching for personal information left on the machines when they are returned. These iPads are for loan to Windham residents only and are not available to residents of other GMILCS communities. Their availability has been advertised through the web site, Diane’s blog, and an article in the Windham Independent.
· The main hot water circulator motor burned out because of voltage fluctuations during the hurricane. This will be an expensive repair.
· A circulation computer at the front desk has died. At the moment, there is no spare computer that can be pressed into service. A replacement machine will need to be acquired under next year’s budget. Running virtual machines at the circulation desk could make sense and bears looking into.
· Librarian Vickie Freeston has communicated her need to end her regular employment hours on November 29th. This position will need to be filled.
· Nesmith Library patrons have borrowed about 6,000 items from other GMILCS libraries. In contrast, we’ve loaned 15-16,000 items (a projected 18,000 items by end of year) to other libraries in the cooperative. Additionally, about 2,000 items have been borrowed by our customers directly from other GMILCS libraries.
· 47 new library cards were issued last month, which is quite good. The library has been issuing 40 to 50-something new cards a month for two to three years, so this growth has been very steady. About 60% of residents have cards, versus an “industry average” of about 30%.
The full Director’s Report is
available at the library.
FLOW Report: FLOW is looking for a Sorting Chair for the Book Fairs as well as for at least two people to help with sorting donated books. Sign-ups have been held for the Holiday Crafts. The date for the next Strawberry Festival has been set for June 1, 2013.
Ad Hoc CIP Proposal Committee: Peter and Mark expressed interest in serving on this committee. Mark will take the lead.
Budget Matters: Since the last meeting, Tara has sent a letter regarding the budget to the Town Administrator, who had said that a letter from the Board indicating our support for a COLA increase would be of use to him.
Strategic Plan Priorities: Several of the library’s marketing priorities have yet to be acted upon. Trustees should be prepared to state which initiatives they would like to work on at next month’s meeting.
Trustees’ Meeting: Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 7:00 pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:58 pm.
Draft subject to approval