NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Present: Chris Monterio, Chairman; Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Mark Branoff, Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Mary Lee Underhill, Corresponding Secretary;
Anne Marie O’Neil ; Carolyn Webber; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Chris Monterio, Chairman, at 7:10 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the June 9th meeting were approved.
Correspondence: E-Mail congratulations to Carl from J Gross on Nesmith Library’s excellent Halpern Score. Our overall score and our NH ranking have both moved up.
Financial—53% of the year has elapsed and we have spent 55% of the operating budget. Mark also reported that due to historically low interest rates the certificates of deposits for our non-lapsing accounts will be renewing every other month instead of every month. This method will provide slightly higher interest.
Nesmith Library Directors Report, June 2009
Building and property maintenance.
· Shelving—new shelving has been received providing more CD storage and space in the Young Adult area.
· Registration. There have been 90 new registrations since May.
· Internet uses. July saw an unusual drop in use.
· People Counter. The people counter was broken, it has been replaced. Monthly statistics for July (partial month) 7463 visits.
· Statistics— In July our collection size totaled 82,441 items. Volunteer hours were 76.6 in June and 99 in July.
Unfinished Business—Strategic Planning—Mark will be responsible for compiling the results of the survey. Once that has been completed the Strategic Planning Committee will convene to discuss the rest of the project. Over 200 surveys were completed either on-line or on paper. Thanks to Anne Marie for the extra push at the end to increase the response.
· Wendy Keller is moving out of town and has submitted her letter of resignation which the board accepted with their thanks for her service. Chris asked that members suggest names of possible candidates and their level of interest to complete her term. We will also have to begin to the search for candidates that may be interested in serving as Board members for the three additional terms that will be expiring in March.
· CIP submission—Carl suggests that we do not present our expansion project to the committee out of respect for the economic climate and the town’s budget constraints.
· F.L.O.W. Jennifer Simons, incoming president will be our guest at the next Board meeting.
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval