NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Present: Joan Griffin, Chairman; Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer; Chris Monterio, Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Anne Marie O’Neil, Carolyn Webber, Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director. Lois Freeston, Assistant Director was excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Joan Griffin, Chairman, at 7:10 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the March 4, 2008 meeting were approved.
Financial—There is still no report from the Town YTD as of yet.
Nesmith Newsbits—Wendy Keller will finalize our schedule for these press releases. We will also look into the possibility of an insertion in the Lawrence Eagle Tribune.
Director’s-- Carl expanded on last month’s report.
· Circulation—Circulation continued to exceed our January numbers of over 15,000 items loaned throughout the month of February.
· Registration-- There were 47 new registrations in February.
· Internet uses-- 574 uses in February.
· People Counter-- 6538 visits were counted in February, an increase of 10.8% from the previous February.
· Statistics—For February our collection size totaled 80,600; Volunteer hours were 67.7 hours.
Patron Comments—we have had some mixed comments regarding the decision to remove play items from the children’s room providing quieter place for reading activities. Some patrons have voice disappointment during the transition. Carl would like to try to strike a balance so that all patrons may enjoy the library in a calming setting while still providing a place for friendly greetings and conversations. At some point during the near future we may try to re-introduce some play items but not on the previous scale.
Building and property maintenance.
· The shelving order from Tucker Library Interiors has had to be revised because some laminate colors were no longer available. Substitutions have been selected and are on order.
· Office reorganization –Staff work Area--Carl will contact Sally D’Angelo to see if she would assist us with using the space more effectively.
· Volunteer Policy—We discussed the revisions to this policy. Mark Branoff moved that we accept the revised policy. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
· Time-Line for Library Expansion/Building Expansion Chairman—Chris and Carl presented their revised time-lines. In light of the aggressive goals included during the next few months it was agreed that Carl will draft a letter to the Building Expansion Committee inviting them to a meeting early in April to determine if the time-line is feasible and what our next steps should be.
· Election of Officers—Nominations were taken from the floor.
Mary Lee Underhill—Vice Chairman
Assistant Treasurer—Chris Monterio
Recording Secretary—Wendy Keller
Corresponding Secretary—Anne-Marie O’Neil
Wendy Keller, Secretary cast the ballot for the slate of officers. The slate was approved.
o Finance-- per the By-Laws this would consist of the Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, Director and Chairman
o Personnel—will consist of Mary Lee Underhill, Carolyn Webber and Mark Branoff
o Trustee Emeritus—Mark Branoff moved that we name Patricia Skinner Trustee Emeritus for life. The motion was seconded and carried unanimously. He also moved that we name Dr Murray Levin as Trustee Ereritus postumously. Anne Marie will take care of preparing the letters to the recipients and we will also create a certificate for presentation at a later date.
o NH State Library—Carl has been asked to do a session on budget and finance and for one of their workshops and will offer the use of the Nesmith Library for this purpose.
o Staff Party—we discussed the possible dates of May 16th. Staff and Trustees were asked to check their calendars.
· Non-Public Session: A motion was made by Chris Monterio that the trustees move to a non-public session under RSA 91-A:3. The motion was seconded. Joan Griffin polled
the trustees—all were in favor. A motion was made by Wendy Keller to exit the non-public session. Joan Griffin polled the trustees—all were in favor.
· Trustees’ Meeting—Tuesday, April 8th 7 p.m.
ADJOURNED: The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval