NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Present: Joan Griffin, Chairman; Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Secretary, Chris Monterio, Assistant Treasurer; Carolyn Webber, Anne Marie O’Neil, Corresponding Secretary; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Joan Griffin, Chairman, at 7:10 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the November 18, 2008 meeting were approved.
Financial—91.6% of the year has elapsed and we have spent 92% of the budget.
Director’s-- Nesmith Library Directors Report, December 2008
· Registration. There were 53 new registrations in November.
· Internet uses. 536 uses in November, 2008 vs. 656 in November, 2007.
· People Counter. 5777 visits were counted in November.
· Sunday usage. There were 559 visits in November compared to 419 visits in November, 2007.
Building and property maintenance.
· Carl presented the proposed budget for 2009 which shows a 4.1% increase over 2008. This includes a Cola of 3% and includes a third position for Sundays. MOTION: Mary Lee moved to approve the budget as presented by the Director and Finance Committee. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
Technology -- Nothing new to report
· F.L.O.W. purchases in 2008
o Tucker Library Furniture $4966
o ESI $4843
MOTION: Anne Marie moved that we accept the donation of the furniture and outdoor electrics and express our thanks to F.L.O.W. for their generous support. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Statistics—Our collection size totaled 88,1042 items. Volunteer hours were 53.7 hours.
· Strategic Planning Committee—Plans to launch the survey have been put on hold until after the holidays.
· Proposed 2009 Schedule of Holiday Closings— MOTION: Anne Marie moved that the Board accept the schedule proposed by the Director with the inclusion of Sunday July 5th as closed and unpaid. The motion was seconded and was carried unanimously.
· Volunteer Award—Carolyn has spoken to Dave Sullivan on our behalf—the idea being to recognize library volunteers at the town level.
· Trustees’ Meeting—Tuesday, January 13, 2009.
· Congratulations to Carolyn Webber on her election as a State Rep!
· ADJOURNED: The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval