NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Present: Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer, Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary, Lisa Thornton, Member, Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors. Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, and Chris Monterio, Treasurer, were excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Vice Chairman Joan Griffin at 7:12 pm
The update on Mary Lee’s is that she will be moving to Windham Terrace soon to continue her recovery and rehabilitation. We hope to have her back soon to continue her duties as Chairman.
Minutes: The minutes for the August 08, 2006 were approved.
Financial: Assistant Treasurer Mark Branoff reported that through the end of August 63% of the budget has been spent.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for September 2006
· Circulation: August circulation (17, 424) was only 22 items short of July’s record breaking 17,446 items. Outstanding programming for children and young adults is responsible for this record – our highest monthly circulations ever for July and August.
· People Counter: This continues to show less traffic than last year, at odds with our greatly increased circulation
· Registration: At the end of August the library was showing 8528 registered card holders.
· Statistics: Statistics for August showed there were 7658 visits to the library, 549 internet users and 89.09 volunteer hours. Collection size totaled 76,921 items. There were 7424 visits to the library, 467 internet users and 122.95 volunteer hours. Collection size totaled 76,944 items.
Building and Property Maintenance:
· The concrete steps leading to the front entrance of the library have deteriorated further. They were repaired for Strawberry festival, but this is a temporary fix. The Town has agreed to repair these using funds from property trust if needed.
· Moss on the brick steps.
· Shelving needs. Additional pieces for the children’s room. Additional piece in the AV area. Delivered. AV area ok. Children’s pieces were incorrect and have been reordered.
· Office photocopier. Our present lease agreement through Conway Office Supply/GE Capital expires at the end of November. Carl has received a quote on a three-year lease for a Konica “Biz-Hub”200 copier at a cost of $158.00 per month which saves $4.00 per month. Once he receives a copy of the lease agreement, the Board can vote next month on accepting it.
· The Board was briefed on the children’s and teen programs from both Lori Morse and Jane McCue both of which reported highly successful summer reading programs and other fun activities.
· Carl also brought us up to date the Library’s participation in a state-wide program which enables users to download audio books to their MP3 player through a company known as Overdrive. We are one of 24 libraries to participate through a state grant and is currently available on our web-site. More publicity will be forth-coming once we conclude testing and training.
· Building Expansion Committee: We received a response from four firms to the RFP. The costs ranged from $8,700 to $38,000. After careful consideration the Building Committee selected Dennis Mires and his firm at a cost of $16,000 to provide the feasibility study as the first step of the process. Our budgeted amount is $20,000.
o Motion—Mark Branoff moved to accept the recommendation of the Building Expansion Committee to hire Dennis Mires as our architect. The motion was seconded by Wendy Keller and passed unanimously.
Carl will contact the firm to schedule a meeting with staff as the first of a series of meetings with the architect and Library personnel and committees.
· F.L.O.W. No report but the Board is meeting on September 13 and actively recruiting new board members.
· Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—No report. However the Board discussed the structure of various funding vehicles which libraries make use of. Any further discussion was tabled until the finance committee has a chance to meet to review the structure of these vehicles.
Unfinished Business: None
NEW BUSINESS: None
· Next Library Trustees Meeting will be held on October 10, 2006 at 7:00 p.m.
· The Library will be closed on Sunday and Monday October 8th & 9th in observance of Columbus Day.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:25 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft subject to approval