NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman; Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Lisa Thornton, Member; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors. Pat Skinner and Chris Monterio were excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, at 7:15 p.m.
Non-Public Session: A motion was made by Joan Griffin that the trustees move to a non-public session under RSA 91-A:3. The motion was seconded. Mary
Lee polled the trustees—all were in favor. A motion was made by Wendy Keller to exit the non-public session. Mary Lee polled the trustees—all were in favor.
Minutes: The minutes for the January 9th, 2007 were approved with minor changes. Correspondence: None
Financial: Mark Branoff, assistant treasurer reported that at the end of 2006 97% of the 06 budget was spent. Next month’s report will show the 07 budget
plus January and February expended figures.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for February 2007
Weather Closing—Carl had previously notified the board that due to unsafe conditions, the library was closed on Wednesday, February, 14th.
· Circulation: January 2007 circulation was up by 13.2% from January 2006, an increase of 1800 loans.
· Registration: There were 35 new registrations during January.
· Internet uses: Increased by 46% from the previous January!!! And of course, this speaks only to those who use our equipment. Many individuals bring their own
laptops and use our wireless capability!
Building and Property Maintenance
· No major maintenance issues. We have some minor ongoing HVAC issues.
Motion: Mark Branoff moved that we adopt the Town Safety Policy. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
o Statistics: The month of January showed there were 5562 visits to the library, 89.2 volunteer hours and the collection size totaled 78,932 items.
o Building Expansion Committee: Dennis Mires is revising his preliminary draft of the budget after input from the committee. Next meeting is Tuesday March 6.
o F.L.O.W. Lisa Thornton reported that a very successful first Winter Book Fair was held on Feb 2-3.
o The Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—Wendy Keller is on the recruitment committee which continues to meet during this phase.
· Trustee Openings—Three current trustees are on the March ballot--Mary Lee Underhill, Chris Monterio, and Joan Griffin.
· Director’s Evaluation—will be done in March.
· Alternate Trustees—The board discussed this possibility and will table action for now.
· Nesmith Library Tenth Anniversary Celebration—discussion on how we should celebrate the opening ten years ago this September. A tentative date of September 15th was discussed. A committee of the staff, F.L.O.W., and Trustees will be formed.
Next Trustees Meeting: Tuesday, March 20th at 7:00 p.m.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval