NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman; Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary; Chris Monterio, Treasurer; Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Lisa Thornton, Member; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors.
Call t Call too Order: The meeting was called to order by Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, at 7:12 p.m.
Mi Minutes: The minutes for the December 12, 2006 meeting were approved.
Corre Correspondence: None
Finan Financial: Treasurer Chris Monterio reported there is no report---the Town is closing down the books for the year.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for January 2006
· Circulation: December circulation was 13,246. This is a 16.9% increase from the previous December.
· Registration: At the end of December we were showing 8702 registered cardholders
· Programs Lori, Jane and Karen’s efforts this year really show up in the statistics. Note the difference in youth programs an increase of 1334 events over 2005!
· Statistics: Statistics for December showed there were 5876 visits to the library and 84.67 volunteer hours.
· Internet Uses: Increased by 15.5% from the previous year. And of course this speaks only to those who use our equipment. Many individuals bring their own laptops and use our wireless capability.
· Collection Size: The current number of 78,450 speaks to the issues we have with space and storage. We have added more than 20,000 items since 2002, or 5000 items per year.
· Building and Property Maintenance: We were having a problem with an odor in the History Room. Town maintenance discovered a drain clean out that was not properly sealed. He has fixed this, and the situation seems to be resolved.
· Building Expansion Committee: The next meeting will be held on Wednesday January 24th at 6:30 p.m. to review the revised building plans.
· F.L.O.W. Lisa Thornton thanked the Library for its support throughout the year. The first Winter Book Fair will be held Friday and Saturday Feb 2-3rd
· Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—The committee continues to meet in the recruitment phase.
· Unfinished Business:Trustee Openings—We have 3 openings-- Mary Lee Underhill, Chris Monterio, and Joan Griffin. All three have
· graciously volunteered to have their names place on the March ballot to serve another three year term. The filing period runs between January 24th and February 2.
· Library Holiday schedule for 2007—Carl presented the amendment to the closing schedule stating that we will close at 12 noon on Thanksgiving Day Eve and that the holiday schedule will begin after that day at noon. Wendy Keller moved that we accept the amendment to the holiday schedule. The motion was seconded and was carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS: A personnel matter was discussed and will be handled at an executive session next month.
Next Trustees Meeting: Tuesday February 13th at 7:00 p.m.
January 19th: Program on baseball legend Ted Williams presented by sportswriter Bill Nowlin.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:14 pm.
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary