NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday May 9, 2006
Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, Chris Monterio, Treasurer, Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer, Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary, Lisa Thornton, Member, Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors, Sharon Scannell, former Board Member.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mary Lee Underhill at 7:06 pm
Minutes: The minutes for the April 11th 2006 were approved with the correction: Mark’s office, Assistant Treasurer, be listed after his name.
Financial: Chris Monterio reported that through the end of April 30% of the budget has been spent. We seem to have “caught up” with all town accounts.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for May 2006
· The Library will be closed on Friday, May 12th from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. for staff training.
· Circulation: April’s circulation totaled 14,001. This was an increase from April 2005—5.5%
· People Counter: Carl is monitoring the numbers to see if there is any aberration with patrons standing in the vestibule possibly “tripping up the counter”
· Registration: At the end of April the library was showing 8249 registered card holders.
· Statistics: Statistics for April showed that 14,001 items were circulated with 8,249 registered patrons; there were 5,988 visits to the library, 482 internet users and 95.3 volunteer hours. Our collection size totals 76,095 items.
Building and Property Maintenance:
· The Riel Security bill has been straightened out and paid.
· Building: The committee will have its initial meeting on Thursday, May 11th consisting of a group of present and former trustees and a selected group of town residents.
· F.L.O.W. : Lisa Thornton announced that the F.L.O.W. banquet will be held on Wednesday, June 6th at the Blackwater Grill in Salem (formerly Loafers). MOTION: Because the staff wishes to attend Lisa Thornton moved that the Library close at 4:00 p.m. that day. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Paul Keller Memorial Bench: The committee has ordered the bench and it will be delivered by the end of the month and dedicated the weekend of the Strawberry Festival.
· Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—Sharon Scannell is the Board’s liaison to this non-profit organization. They have completed their surveys and interviews, and published their findings. The next step is to move forward with a mission statement, tag-line and announcement of their first capital campaign. Sharon will continue to keep us informed in future meetings.
· Internet Policy: After the last meeting several changes were made dividing the policy into four sections with some formatting changes to make the document more concise and readable.
Motion: Wendy Keller moved that the revision of the internet policy be accepted as amended. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously. This document will be posted on the Library’s website.
· Operations Plan—Draft 2006: Carl has updated this document for 05 results and includes goals through 09 instead of 08. A discussion took place concerning how the goals would be measured. We will review the measurable goals semi-annually, with the first assessment at our August meeting. Carl will try to put the items in more of a tabular format.
· Strategic Planning: Tabled until the next meeting.
· Library Trustees Meeting on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
· Strawberry Festival, Saturday, June 3
· Building Expansion Committee, Thursday, May 11, 7 p.m. Fire Station
· F.L.O.W/Trustees Banquet, Wednesday, June 7th at Blackwater Grill.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:53 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft subject to approval