NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman; Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary;
Chris Monterio, Treasurer; Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Lisa Thornton, Member; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors; Sharon Scannell, former Board of Trustees Chair.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Mary Lee Underhill,
Chairman, at 7:14 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes for the October 10, 2006 were approved.
Corrrespondence: Pat Skinner reporter that she sent a thank-you note to Mary Ann Senatro thanking her for the excellent work for the extremely beautiful calendar from the State Department of Natural Resources featuring the Nesmith Library. Calendars are on sale at the Library for $5.00.
Financial: Treasurer Chris Monterio reported that through the end of October,
79% of the year has elapsed and 79% of the budget has been spent.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for November 2006
· Circulation: October circulation was 15,605. This is a 20% increase from the previous October!
· Registration: At the end of October we were showing 8623 registered cardholders; 551 new registrations since the beginning of the year.
· Statistics: Statistics for October showed there were 6631 visits to the library, 529 internet users and 106.74 volunteer hours. Collection size totaled 77,918 items.
· Building and Property Maintenance:
The concrete steps leading to the front entrance of the library have been replaced with granite steps. MOTION: Mark Branoff moved that we confirm the e-mail vote to authorize the Director to spend up to $3000 out of the Cap 3 account to pay Freshwater Farms for the replacement of the steps. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Other Issues:
Shelving needs. Children’s pieces have been installed.
The dumpster has been delivered
· Building Expansion Committee: Dennis Mires presented the 1st draft to the committee on Wednesday November 9th. There will be a series of meetings with the staff and Board to fine tune the proposal. In addition, Carl reported that we are still in need of a Chair and a Secretary. Sharon Scannell volunteered to take minutes at future meetings. Several individuals were suggested as possible candidates for the Chairman, and we will follow-up these individuals.
· F.L.O.W. Lisa Thornton reported that F.L.O.W. is in high gear with their Christmas crafts programs and the organization of their first ever Winter Book Fair. Discussion regarding better co-ordination between F.L.O.W. publicity and Library programs. Lisa will contact Annie Murphy to improve communications.
· Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—Sharon Scannell reported that the organization is still in the “quiet phase” of the campaign, focusing on logistics, lining up members of the recruitment and executive committee.
· New Photocopier for library: MOTION—Lisa Thornton moved that we accept the new three year contract of $175 per month with Conway Office Supply which renewed in October. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Microfilming of the Windham Independent is underway. The inventory found that we are missing very few issues; Carl is continuing to pursue different sources of funding to pay for the remainder of the project.
· Mary Lee thanked everyone for their many cards, and gifts during the continuing recuperation from her illness.
· Next Library Trustees Meeting will be held on December 12, 2006 at 7:00 p.m.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:25 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft subject to approval