NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday April 11, 2006
Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, Chris Monterio, Treasurer, Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary, Lisa Thornton, Member, Mark Branoff, Member, Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mary Lee Underhill at 7:06 pm
Minutes: The minutes for the March 21, 2006 meeting were approved
Financial: Chris Monterio reported that through the first quarter 21.6% of the budget
has been spent.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for April 2006
· Circulation: March’s circulation totaled 14, 741. That was a slight decrease of
3.1% over 3-2005. That month was an exceptionally strong month for circulation. For the first quarter of the year, the library has circulated 42,714 items compared with 31,291 items during the first quarter of 2005.
· Sunday Circulation: The Sunday staffing will continue to be evaluated.
· Registration: At the end March the library was showing 8205 registered card holders
· Statistics: Statistics for March showed that 14,741 items were circulated with 8,205 registered patrons; there were 5,776 visits to the library, 543 internet users and 106.25 volunteered hours. Our collection size is 75,668 items.
Building and Property Maintenance:
· Select Energy has completed work on several problems with the HVAC system.
· Al Barlow is aggressively helping the library straighten out a billing problem with Riel Security.
· Public Service: PSNH has increased our budget plan from $1457 per month to $1809 per month. We had budgeted $17,480 a 16.5% increase, PSNH’s increase was 24%.
· Carl announced a staff training exercise focusing on shelving on Friday, May 12th. In order to do this he would like to close the library from 9-1 p.m. then re-open from 1-7 p.m.
MOTION: was made by Pat Skinner and seconded
That the library be closed from 9 to 1 on Friday, May 12th for staff training.
The motion passed unanimously.
· Strawberry Festival, Saturday June 3rd. Carl attended a meeting this a.m. with various town officials to discuss their respective department’s roles in assisting with traffic, parking, clean-up etc. He said they were extremely organized and dedicated to the smooth running of the festival. Due to the anticipated massive clean-up operations…
MOTION: was made by Lisa Thornton and seconded
That the Library be closed on Sunday, June 4th so that the clean-up can be expedited resulting in less overtime for town employees.
The motion passed unanimously.
· A recent article in the Nashua Telegraph (3/05/2006) compared the Nesmith
Library to several other libraries within our southern NH area. Windham had one of the highest number of visits per capita (7.25 visits per person each year). Within the group of 17 libraries, it had the third highest circulation, or number of materials loaned to customers each year.
· Building—Mary Lee has sent a letter to a select group of residents inviting them to join the committee in an effort to get public input and support for the expansion project. A discussion took place about the process of the next step. The mission of this committee will be simply to hire an architect to assess the current building, lay-out the design schematically with our required space allocations and perhaps provide an initial cost summary.
· F.L.O.W. will meet tomorrow evening to plan for the Strawberry Festival. The Board member expressed their willingness to volunteer that day.
Internet Policy: The internet policy was tabled until the May meeting.
· Carl presented the draft of changes to the operations plan which was approved by the Board in 05. Financial statistics and goals need to be updated. Carl explained the Halpern scoring, how it’s determined and the importance of achieving a higher score and comparing it to other libraries throughout the state. Carl asked the Board members to review the report and e-mail comments/questions/suggestions to him for discussion at the next meeting so that the new period for the plan will be for 2005 through 2009.
· NHLTA Conference: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at the Grappone Center in
Concord, 8 am to 4 pm.
· Library Trustees Meeting on Tuesday, May 9, 2006
· Volunteer Appreciation Tea, Friday, May 5th, 2 to 4 p.m. Members are invited and encouraged to attend to honor our volunteers.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft subject to approval