Nesmith Library Board of Trustees Minutes

Tuesday, April 8, 2003

 

Present:  Mary Lee Underhill, Chair, Shirley Beaulieu, Vice-Chair, Sharon Scannell, Treasurer, J Gross, Vice-Treasurer, Willie Day, Member, John Barrett, Director, and Marija Sanderling, Assistant Director; Murray Levin and Pat Skinner, excused.

Mary Lee called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

 

Minutes: The following corrections were recommended for the April 8 minutes under “Financial Report:” 

That the word “preliminary” be inserted before the “year-to-date” financial report that is requested from the Town Financial Director; that Jena Day’s title “Administrative Assistant” replace “Director’s secretary;” and that the words “continue to” be inserted before “coordinate her check requests.”

Also noted in the paragraph on “Disposal of Card Catalog” was the need to change “place” to past tense: “placed.”

MOTION: was made by J Gross and seconded

To accept the minutes as corrected.

The motion passed unanimously.

 

REPORTS:

Financial Report: At the close of the first quarter of 2003, 22.8% of the budget has been spent. J requested that the report be expanded to include total monthly expenses for each account.  Sharon will work with Jena to set up an appropriate spreadsheet for such reporting.

John will continue to work with Dana Call regarding the late fees for the Choice One account.

 

Director’s Report: The report was e-mailed to members prior to the meeting. Of note is:  Marija purchased five new computers and is re-assigning the older computers to other areas, John will request estimates for the recommendations made by Select Energy for the heating system, and the demand for story hours exceeds the capacity of the library and staff.

           

Needs Assessment Study Committee Report:  J, chair of the committee, reported on the first meeting, and there was discussion of the draft of the Request For Proposals (RFP)  prepared by the Director.

MOTION was made by Willie Day and seconded

That the Needs Assessment Study Committee be empowered to finalize and issue the RFP prior to the next meeting.        

The motion passed unanimously.

The announcement of the Committee meeting on Saturday, April 12 at 10:00 a.m. will be posted in the Town Hall and on the Library bulletin board.

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:  

Personnel Policy Article XX:  Tuition Reimbursement

MOTION was made by J Gross and seconded

That paragraph 7 be modified to read “up to 60%” of tuition be reimbursed and that it be “at the discretion of the Library Director in consultation with the Board of Library Trustees.”

After discussion which focused on the rising costs of tuition, the budget constraints, and the number of staff wishing to avail themselves of courses, J withdrew the motion and made the

MOTION, that was seconded,


That “50%” replaced the current 60% written in the policy.

The motion passed unanimously.

 

Disposal of the Card Catalog: John Barrett reported that disposal of physical property may be sold via advertisement, given to the Town, or donated to a community organization.  One catalog was sold in response to the newspaper ad.

MOTION was made by Shirley Beaulieu and seconded

That the second card catalog be donated to the Presbyterian Church which housed the first Town Library.

The motion passed unanimously.

 

Social for Former Trustees: The F.L.O.W. Board voted to include the Friends, Library Staff, and the Board of Trustees at their annual social.  It will be held on Wednesday, June 11 at 6:30 pm at Searles Castle.

 

Technical Room Heating: Willie Day requested that quotes for moving the thermostat, purchase and installation of both storm windows and a humidifier, and information on the permissibility of space heaters be submitted at the next meeting. .

 

NEW BUSINESS:

Host Russian Library Managers: John reported that our participation in the program is not needed at this time.

 

USA Patriot Act: The members were asked to stay current and knowledgeable of this Act.

 

Collection Development Policy: John presented an amendment to the policy.  The second reading and vote on the recommendation will be on next month’s agenda.

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

The Trustees are invited (and asked to reply) to the Volunteer Appreciation Tea on April 25.

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 13, 2003.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:09 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Mary Lee Underhill

 

Draft subject to approval